Cover Letter Sample
This page contains an example job advert and a cover letter sample, which shows you how a cover letter can be written to make an employer or recruiter want to interview you.
To gain the maximum advantage from a cover letter that you are sending in response to an advertised vacancy, you have to quickly tell the reader the following:
- Why you are relevant to their needs.
- That you have ALL the skills and experience requested in the job advert.
After you looked at the cover letter sample below, you might want to take a look at our in-depth article how to write a cover letter that gets you noticed and makes employers want to meet you for an interview.
Cover Letters The Basics
|See below for sample cover letter|
Writing a cover letter is not rocket science of course, but surprisingly few people skew their letters to meet the 2 simple objectives listed above.
- A cover letter is designed to raise the reader's interest and quickly inform them in a very succinct fashion that you meet the stated requirements.
- The reader may be a member of an in-house HR team at an employer or a recruiter. Both are busy and will be sick of reading substandard CVs and cover letters.
- This is not the same as telling them what you think they want to hear!
- Be aware that not all adverts are accurate - remember they are selling the job to you the applicant.
- Always stick to what the advert says even if you do not agree with the requested skills and expertise.
- As well as a cover letter, you will also need a quality CV to help you win interviews, CV writing services like Bradley CVs can produce an expertly crafted CV that will significantly increase your chances of getting the job interviews you want.
Sample Job Advert
The sample job advert and cover letter (below) are both fictional. Names and contact information were made up and don't represent any real companies or individuals.
Account Manager Ref 14740
We are a light engineering company specialising in small component manufacture for the non-OEM motor trade market. We require an Account Manager to drive the existing accounts and forge new partnerships for the future.
You will be accustomed to sourcing your own leads and making your own appointments. In addition you will thrive under pressure and enjoy the challenge of meeting strict performance objectives.
As this role requires full mobility you will need a clean UK driving licence and be prepared for a couple of overnight stays away from home per week.
In return you can expect a choice of fully expensed car and a salary and bonus commensurate with the importance of the role.
Please apply in writing to Mr P Woodhead, HR Manager, Action-Parts Ltd, 3 New Drive, Exmore Trading Estate, Wolverhampton, WH7 8TK or email email@example.com
Sample Cover Letter
This cover letter illustrates how you might respond to the sample job advert. Note all names / contact details are fictional and don't represent real people or companies. Need help with your cover letter? A professional covering letter writing service can make a real difference to your interview success ratio.
Need a first-class CV / cover letter? A CV writer from Bradley CVs can expertly create a powerful CV for you that will impress employers and ensure they want to interview you.
Next: Job Agencies
- FREE Reports: How to Dramatically Improve Your CV / Resume; How to Get a Big Pay Rise; Job Hunting Secrets Revealed.
- Want to improve your CV? Professional CV writing services can substantially improve your chances of securing a job interview
- Free CV distribution to over 1800 top UK recruiters
- Recruitment agency finder UK
- Advertised jobs
- Letter writing
- Example advert and letter
- Job Agencies
- Speculative letters
- How to Network
- Access 100,000+ jobs on our Job Sites section
- Jobs for 16 year olds
- Archaeology and jobs
- Jobs for 13 year olds
- Employment & recruitment agencies
- UK employment agencies
- Jobs for 14 year olds
- Jobs available in my area
- Jobs for 15 year olds
- Jobs in my area
- Jobs for 16 year old
- Jobs that require travel
- Jobs for a 16 year old
- Job vacancies at Heathrow Airport
- Part time jobs for 16 year olds
- Job hunting methods