How to Identify and Win the Best Jobs on www.totaljobs.com
This is a premium job board with around 130,000 vacancies from over 5500 companies.
There are 54 sectors represented which makes searching that much simpler - finding your dream job will not take long!
The whole site is very easy to navigate and Totaljobs is part of a large group that also deals with speciality sectors like catering. They handle around 2 million applications per month and attract in excess of 7 million job seekers per month.
Throughout this article we've sprinkled our 10 Top Tips to make sure you get the most out of Totaljobs, find the right vacancy for you and are the first to apply.
How to Search on Totaljobs to Find the Best UK Jobs
- On their homepage there is a simple box that asks for job title or skill or company, this in itself is unusual and clearly is a quick way of searching. In addition it is possible to add location with a defined mileage circumference.
- Top Tip #1: Beneath the main search function is a 'more options' button which makes your search more accurate - we would recommend using this extra facility. You can add salary - hourly rate or annual, permanent, contract or temporary, and recruiter or employer direct.
- Taking either route above will present you with a list of suitable vacancies - this includes the job title, location, advert placed by, salary and how long ago it was advertised.
- Click on an individual vacancy to see more detail and the full description of the role. You can also print the job, send it to someone else, save it for later or set up an email alert for similar roles.
- Top Tip #2: Should your search yield fewer jobs than you were expecting try a different set of terms or widen the location requested.
- Top Tip #3: If there aren't many jobs for your particular sector displayed after you've refined your search, then try CV-Library or Reed.
- It is possible to view all the hiring companies on Totaljobs - you can access this information on the right side of the home page under the main search boxes. The results are split between recruiters and employers direct.
Making Job Applications
- When you click on 'Apply' after you've found a job that you're interested in, you are faced with a simple and quick form to complete and upload your CV. This will also automatically register you - be sure to read the terms and conditions.
- Top Tip #4: On the right side of the job you will also see similar roles that other people applied for - useful in case you missed alternative opportunities.
- On the apply / register form you can also include a cover letter. This can be pasted into a box or typed. It's a good idea to prepare this in advance and just change the details of who you are sending it to.
- Top Tip #5: Don't underestimate the value of a cover letter - it shows the employer or recruiter that you could be bothered to write a letter rather than saying "Here's my CV", plus it demonstrates your commitment to the job and of course it is a matter of courtesy that you send a letter.
- Top Tip #6: Never waste the opportunity to warm up the reader of your CV - a well-written cover letter that talks about how you have previously added value by skill deployment speaks volumes for you.
- Struggling to write a good CV and Cover Letter? Bradley CVs CV writing service can certainly help you. If you want to get noticed from the 100s of other applicants a professionally written CV and Cover Letter is a must!
Save Time With Jobs by Email From Totaljobs
- Instead of spending time frequently visiting www.totaljobs.com you can subscribe to their email alert system that will send daily emails to notify you of predefined job vacancies once they become available.
- Top Tip #7: Setting up alerts can allow you to beat rival job seeker applications because you will know about the vacancy first.
- Top Tip #8: In addition to email alerts there is also a mobile app that you can receive new job notifications on your phone or tablet - access this from the bottom half of the homepage under the 'Power App' heading.
Why Upload Your CV to www.TotalJobs.com?
- Get your CV noticed by uploading it for recruiters to see. On the homepage there is an opportunity to upload your CV on the right side under the main search boxes.
- Before you do this make sure your CV is up to speed - there is little point in leaving an uninspiring document for all to see and it is unlikely to spur any recruiters to call you!
- Top Tip #9: Once on the system your CV can be very quickly accessed when you apply for new vacancies - it will save you the time of uploading it from your PC on each separate application.
- Top Tip #10: Use a CV upload as an extra resource when seeking a new job - do not rely on this method alone, build it into a system that incorporates other job search methods.
Other Resources on Totaljobs
- At the bottom of the homepage you will find the 'Jobseeker' heading and one of the entries is an 'Inside job blog', This is well worth a read as it contains lots of useful hints and tips for a job seeker.
- Unlike other job boards Totaljobs only has one other entry under the Jobseeker heading and that is a salary checker. It makes interesting reading particularly if you are considering a career change.
|URL for job seekers||http://www.totaljobs.com|
|Type of site||Generalist job site covering multiple sectors.|
|Specific job sectors covered||
|Number of jobs on the site||130,000|
|Jobs by email||Yes|
|Can you upload your CV||Yes|