career.com: should you bother with this job site?
Originally described as the "World's First Recruitment Site", career.com has been updated with a new look and feel.
The original site was very dated and unattractive in comparison with other job sites.
The site is now run by Kenexa, an IBM subsidiary that provides software to aid organisations to find the right people for their organisation.
The new site has a very simple uncluttered layout, with just a search box and nothing else on the home page at all.
The search criteria offered on Career.com's home page is fairly standard: you can search by job title or keyword and location such as city, state and zip code.
If you click on Power Search, this yields additional fields that you can use to further refine your search. It's recommended that you use the Power Search, otherwise you're likely to end up with far too many results:
- You can refine the keywords you use, including exact match or excluding words.
- The Power Search also enables you to search by company name, if there's a particular company that you want to work for.
- You can also search by job types: contract, full-time, internships, part-time or temporary jobs.
- Jobs can be selected from job boards, employers' own websites or both and you can also exclude staffing agencies if you want to.
- If you want a job in a specific location, you can enter a city or zip code and select jobs based on a location and a specific number of miles from that location.
- You can also select job adverts by date or relevance - useful if you only want to see recent job adverts.
One major flaw is that you have to enter some keywords - so you can't just ask to see all the jobs in a particular profession at a particular location. If this flaw makes it more difficult for you to find what you want then try another job site such as Monster.
Once you've hit the search button, the site brings up the relevant jobs that match your criteria. The site seems to be funded by adverts from Google that surround the listed job vacancies.
|URL for job seekers||www.career.com|
|Type of site||Generalist job site|
|Specific job sectors covered||
|Number of jobs on the site||Not stated, but likely to be in the millions|
|Jobs by email||Yes|
|Can you upload your resume||Yes|